Sunday, March 20, 2011

Shoutout Sunday: Barbie's Basement Jewellery

I was introduced to Barbie's Basement Jewellery a couple of years ago by my friend Jen (Moon's human mommy and the hippest chick I know!).  BBJ was holding a sale out of their Toronto studio and we headed on down to hobnob with the owners and scoop up some deals.  I bought a pendant with Bettie Page on it (and hung it from a kickass necklace I made myself) and Jen bought glitter canvases of (I think) Laverne & Shirley and Grease, respectively.

If Barbie's Basement Jewellery could be expressed as a mathematical formula, it would probably be something like useful and/or fashionable item + pop culture reference x glitter = explosive awesomeness (okay, not every BBJ item possesses all of these elements simultaneously...but my favourite ones do!).

BBJ's studio is open to visitors all the time (not just during sales) and can be found here.  If you don't live in Toronto (or you're just lazy, like me) you can buy their stuff online from the comfort of your own couch.  Here's how it works: 1) Browse the site and decide whether you want to purchase a glittery serving tray, a pet tag for your favourite furry friend, a brooch with a fabulous sunburst of rhinestones around it, or what.  2) Choose an image from their huge and diverse online gallery (or you can provide your own!)  3) Pay.  4) Wait for your pretty shiny goodness to arrive in the mail!

You know I'm gonna get one of my paintings made into a belt buckle*, right?  Like...not anytime too soon, because I just quit my job and I should probably hoard my savings.  But someday.

You go ahead and buy some stuff, thoughI'll just live vicariously through you. :)



*Perhaps this one with the words "It won't lick itself, y'know" Photoshopped in...

No comments:

Post a Comment