Friday, March 18, 2011

Omens!

By the way, yesterday - the day I gave my two weeks' notice - I left for work a little on the late side and walked out my door to see not one but three buses approaching.  When I got to the subway station, there was a subway train sitting there with the doors open...and they stayed open until I got on instead of closing in my face. The train made excellent time and I ended up getting to work early.

Contrast this with my usual weekday morning, where I can clearly see that the street is bus-free from my toes to the horizon and yet as soon as I give up and start walking, one or two of them whiz by.  Once I get to the station, I invariably miss a train by fractions of a second; then the train that I eventually board ends up standing for ten minutes at every freaking station for no discernible reason.  Most days, I'm lucky if I manage to hurl myself breathlessly into my office chair exactly as my shift begins.

Now, I don't wanna sound superstitious or nothin', but I think my bit of Quitting Day transit synchronicity is a mystical sign that I made the right decision.  The universe has obviously aligned itself in my favour and everything in my life will start coming together.  I'll never have a bad hair day ever again and my favourite brand of chocolate bar will always be on sale wherever I happen to be shopping that day.  I'll find $100 bills on the ground four times a week.  My cat's urine will start smelling like hazelnut lattes.  The Boy will develop a sudden fetish for washing dishes and rubbing my feet.  I mean, it's all so obvious.

Okay, I'm exaggerating.  But it does feel like something's up.  I actually woke up that day with an overwhelming "everything's going to be okay" feeling reverberating through me - a calmness that started somewhere in the centre of my chest and spread outward.  I've never felt that before.  Optimism, sure; but this was different.  This was certainty.

Or maybe I'd eaten too much salmon the night before.  I read somewhere that "too much salmon" and "a cosmic sense of providence radiating through one's very soul" can feel really similar.

4 comments: