Thursday, March 17, 2011

My half of a fictitious conversation with my day job

Hey, Day Job.

Could we talk a minute?  No, in private...yeah, here is good.

So...um.  I don't know how to say this so I guess I'll just say it...I think we need to break up.

No, no, you're great.  Seriously, you are!  I've learned so much from you during the years we've been together.  And you're so steady - during times of upheaval in my life, you've often been the only constant.  I'm so very fond of you.  I just...I feel like the passion is gone.  Like I'm taking you for granted.  It's not you, it's me.

And I should probably tell you...there's kind of someone else.  Art.

I fell for Art ages ago...before you and I met, actually.  The connection was really intense, really immediate.  But people warned me not to commit in any big way...they said Art would never be able to support me the way someone like you could.  They said Art was a flighty type who would inevitably break my heart, and stupidly, I believed them.  And so I ran away; I looked for something more stable, and ultimately I found you.  And it's been so great.  Really.

But recently, Art has come back into my life and we've been kinda hooking up behind your back, and I'm having all these...feelings.  And I've decided I need to give my relationship with Art the chance it deserved in the first place.  I'm going to pursue this unreservedly, with my entire heart.

I'm so sorry if I've hurt you, Day Job.  I didn't mean to.  I think I was just too young when you and I got together...I didn't know what I wanted.

But now I do.

Please know that I'll always be grateful for everything you've done for me.  And, on the off chance that Art doesn't work out, maybe you and I could even try again someday.

Goodbye.

<3 Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment