Sunday, May 15, 2011

Shoutout Sunday: Athens Boys Choir

Athens Boys Choir is not actually a band; it's a guy named Katz who has more charisma than Grace Kelly plus ten thousand tiny little puppies!!!  SERIOUSLY I AM CRUSHING SO HARD RIGHT NOW YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.

The music of Athens Boys Choir is usually described as "spoken word", but a number of tracks are closer to what I'd call rap (or...hip hop, maybe?  I'm not too good with these distinctions).  Many songs deal with queerness or trans-ness - sometimes with biting political commentary but sometimes just in the sense of pure, campy fun.

Well. I guess technically you can't live in this society and sing about being a pansexual Jewish transman without it being a bit...incendiary.  But I don't think that's the point of those campy songs - if anything, they seem like inside jokes aimed at other trans, queer and pansexual people, not some kind of challenge leveled at cis-privileged straight folks.  Anyway, whatever, I'm talking too much.  Watch this now!  IT IS AWESOME:



You can purchase the work of Athens Boys Choir on iTunes.  You might also want to listen to songs, watch videos, or sign up for the mailing list on the official band website.  Would you rather get your fandom fix from MysSpace or Facebook?  Katz has you covered there, too!

Alright, kids, I'm outta here.  I wanna watch Katz's live performance of Tranny's Got Pack* a few more times before I go varnish some paintings.**


*Exposition for newbies: "Packing" is when a trans man or drag king stuffs his pants to create a boy-bulge.  A "packer" (LINK NSFW) is a molded-silicone set of boyjunk manufactured specifically for this purpose.

**Not a euphemism!  I have actual paintings that need a coat of sealant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment