Sunday, April 10, 2011

Shoutout Sunday: Fancy Pants Kids

A while back, I had the idea to make crowns and other dress-up accessories out of washable fabric and market them to kids.  I didn't actually do it, though, because frankly my sewing is kinda halfassed and I thought my potential customers deserved better.  Luckily, someone else got the same idea and was willing to use her whole ass to bring it to fruition: Gretel Meyer Odell of Fancy Pants Kids.

My favourite Fancy Pants product is their Long Dragontail - a spiky vinyl tail that you put on like a backpack.  Because it's so long and has adjustable straps, it actually fits me - even though I am a giant!

Many Fancy Pants Kids items will work on grown-ups, actually - and the designs are flexible enough that you can let your imagination run wild and pretend to be lots of different things!  The Pointy Ears Headband (found at the top of this page) is a great example of this - it looks a bit like animal ears and a bit like a crown and a bit like a superhero tiara, so this  one piece gives you lots of options. Another great thing about Fancy Pants Kids (though I didn't consciously realize this until I read it on their "about" page) is that their designs aren't gender-specific.  I love that - I believe that in imagination land, kids can and should be anything they want*, and this includes boy princesses and girl heroes!

So anyhoo, remember how I mentioned that The Boy and our friend Jen and I went to the One of a Kind Show?  And remember how the weekend after that, I turned 38?  Well, Fancy Pants Kids were at One of a Kind and Jen saw me coveting the Long Dragontail and somehow managed to surreptitiously buy me one for my birthday!!!  AND IT'S RED!!!!!

RAAAAAWWWWR!
I am totally going to wear this clubbing and astound all the cool kids with my righteous dinosaur-style dance moves.  Awwww yeah.

Did I mention that Fancy Pants Kids isn't found only at arts and crafts fairs?  You can buy from them online, too!  Take a look!


*Actually, I believe this about grown-ups and real life, too!

3 comments:

  1. Seriously cool. I know my cooler than me teenage daughter will definitely want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great post! I remember you trying one on at the One of a Kind Show and I was so thrilled for you when your friend snuck back to buy it for you! Happy B'day!!! (I turned 40 on the 11th!) Thanks for digging the intentions behind my designs - I love it when people GET it:-) Have fun at the clubs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool that you remember me, Gretel! :D I hope you had an awesome birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete