Sunday, January 1, 2012

Diary of a Trailblazer: Watching the Odometer Turn Over.

Holy cow, you guys, it's 2012!!!  I hope you had a wonderful holiday season and that the coming year is bright and shiny and awesome for everyone!

It's been nine months since I quit my day job and embarked on this journey.  In some ways the time went really fast; every Friday I think "Wait, what?  It's the weekend already?" and I can still vividly remember how it felt to get up and go to work every day.  In other ways, it feels like time has stood still - like I'm in a bubble of safety where normal human concerns somehow don't apply.  Here in my bubble, I've always been a stay-at-home artist and I'll always be a stay-at-home artist.

But then I remind myself that I'm not actually living in a bubble apart from the cares of humanity; I've been paying for my rent, bills and groceries just like everyone else.  And my money will eventually run out and I will have to think of what to do next.  

Then I freak out and, hypothetically speaking, spend most of December rocking back and forth in the foetal position.

...Well, going foetal in-between packing and shipping orders, because orders have been flowing into my Artfire store on a regular basis.  That gives me hope for the future, and once again I want to express my eternal gratitude to all of you who have bought my art or told your friends to check out my store.  Your good word of mouth is totally saving my ass, srsly. <3

I think I'm starting to come out of my funk.  I did a small painting the other day, and I started on another painting right after - a pretty big one.  I haven't painted anything bigger than 5"x7" in aaaaaaages.  I'll post pics eventually.  

In the meantime, here's a Christmas morning photo of Birch playing in an empty gift bag:

It's like we got him his own apartment for Christmas!
Yeah, that's right, I also uncurled from the foetal position long enough to celebrate Christmas and New Year's with The Boy and some friends, and it was absolutely lovely.  And now the days are getting longer again (yay sunshine!), the hustle and bustle of Christmas has subsided (yay peace and quiet!), and I'm totally looking forward to this brand new year.

Cheers, everyone. :)

***

Didn't get what you wanted for Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza/etc.?  Treat yourself to some wonderful wall art from my online store!  Sushi and robots and furmaids, oh my!
Cute confused robot pop art - bright fun original painting 4x4 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment