Friday, September 2, 2011

New painting: a sexy, suave, swingin' Godzilla.

I felt like painting a giant lizard-monster bein' all smooth and sexy like Hugh Heffner.  I don't know why.

I particularly like the lush magenta wallpaper in the background.  While I was working on this painting, The Boy came in, did the critical head-tilt stare for a while, and finally said "the red robe really clashes with the colour of the wall."  And I was like "Good!  That's what I was going for."  I think the painting needs to have an element of sensory overload in order to convey the extreme sensuality of our lizard friend, here.  Decadence!  Lavishness!  Excess!

The other thing I love is that the image wraps around all four sides of the canvas.  Many of my paintings do, mind you, but I think this one in particular came out extra-specially cool.


I dunno, I just think there's something hilarious about peeking under the canvas and seeing those skinny little legs there.

And yeah, I made the smoke from his pipe heart-shaped on purpose.  This lizard-beast may be out to seduce you, but he doesn't just want another notch on his belt - something tells me he's a real romantic at heart.  When you get right down to it, this is a portrait of a gigantic misunderstood lizard-monster looking for love.  I hope you like it!


***
If you're new here, please check out the paintings in my online gallery and "like" me on Facebook.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment